Thursday, June 9, 2011

Feeling Hungry?

This is my first post for my blog ... I'm so excited! As the blog title indicates, I hope this blog will provide nourishment for your mind, body and soul. I plan on sharing some of my favorite recipes, as well as reviewing books.

Serendipitously, the first book I want to share with you is ...



..."The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. I admit I'm behind the trend, because I've been hearing about this book for well over a year. That said, I am so glad I finally got around to reading it.

While you might not want to eat while you're reading, as some of the content might be a little unappetizing to you, I think you will LOVE this book. The characters are vividly described, and you find yourself cheering the main characters (Katniss and Peeta) on as they embark on an unusual quest for survival.  I don't want to give too much away, but the themes of survival and family, paired with Suzanne Collins' easy-to-read style, made this such an enjoyable book for me.

I purchased my copy at Barnes & Noble for my new nook (a sweet Mother's Day gift from my hubby) and I cannot wait to get my hand on the next two books in the series.

Now for some good eats .... the first recipe I want to share with you is "Italian Beef Sandwiches" (shared by my friend, Emily Young).

Ingredients:

41/2 pounds beef tip sirloin roast
1 can beef broth
1 can beer
1 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 envelope onion soup and dip mix (I use the Market Pantry brand from Target because it doesn't have MSG)
1 envelope italian salad dressing mix
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon basil

King's Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls - 2 Packages (for 8 rolls total)

Preparation: Place roast in a slow cooker. Combine broth, beer, water, vinegar, soup mix, dressing mix, garlic, oregano, and basil - pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast and shred (mine was so tender that I was able to leave it in the crock pot and pull it apart with my meat fork); return meat to juice in slow cooker. Use slotted spoon to spoon shredded meat onto rolls. Serve dipping juices for dipping.

Make it a meal: Serve sandwiches with a side salad and/or some steamed corn

This shredded beef is melt-in-your mouth good! For leftovers, I used the meat for soft beef tacos ... delish!

Looking forward to many future shared meals and books with you! (I realize there are none of "you" yet, but hopefully you will join me on my journey at some point!)

1 comment:

  1. From one blogger to another, WELCOME! Looking forward to keeping up with you AND getting great ideas for dinner!

    ReplyDelete